[Qgis-user] Multipoint vs point postgis error

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Mar 24 17:47:11 PDT 2014

On 03/24/2014 05:32 PM, Daniel Kranich wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I just recently have converted a bunch of shape files I had been using
> into postGIS database tables. A couple of them are giving me major
> grief. The problem is that if I create a new point on one of these
> layers, it gives me the following error: PostGIS error while adding
> features: ERROR: Geometry type (Point) does not match column type
> (MultiPoint). I have done much Googling and found nothing on how to fix
> this problem. I am fairly new at Postgresql so I kinda get lost when
> trying to RTFM.
>
> I could probably create a new table/layer and import the points from my
> problem layer, but i'm not sure if that will cause the error to persist.
>
> Thanks for the Help
>
> Daniel

So the key to start is the Postgis definition of Point vs MultiPoint.
Point is 1 point per row
Multi-point is 1 or more points per row

I'm not sure why QGIS would care either way, but it is possible that
editing only work with Point and not MultiPoint. So unless your data is
truly multi-point it might be easiest to just convert the Postgis data
type to Point.

It should work though:
http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/64856/how-can-i-create-a-multipoint-geometry-in-qgis
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2011-April/014022.html

Tips on converting
http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/55067/how-to-convert-multipoint-layer-to-point

Question,
What version of QGIS, what version of Postgis, what version of Postgres,
and what Operating system? And are you using and plugins to aide the
digitizing/editing?

Thanks,
Alex