[Qgis-user] relation between the value of $area and the CRS (lat/long coordinates)

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Mar 26 13:50:56 PDT 2014

General rule of thumb. Whenever doing analysis reproject data into
appropriate projection.

Why? Well you can never count on tools re-projecting or recalculating
units on the fly. Many GIS tools are actually completely projection and
unit unaware, they simply operate on the coordinates/units provided.
There's all sorts of reasons why, it's more complicated, the reading of
proj metadata could be wrong, there might be no clean datum transform
without user input etc....

This is why, notoriously, GRASS and ArcINFO (old school command line),
define projection on a workspace (whole folder of data). It was the only
way to ensure calculations would be correct.

The measure tools in QGIS have attempted to make life easy by allowing
calculations to vary depending on project projection and selected
project display units. This should be exploratory only for the reasons
stated above. All sorts of combos could give strange numbers.

It's not exactly a bug, though there could be one, it's more likely an
unexpected combo of settings.

Thanks,
Alex