[Qgis-user] Qgis slow in retrieving PGsql data.

Nico Alberti n8 at langhirano.it
Fri Mar 28 05:38:22 PDT 2014

Hi everybody. I am rather new to both technnologies (Qgis and PGsql
data) so sorry if the question is lame. When I try to connect to a PGsql
database, everything goes fine; layers are correctly listed and I can
see their geometry type and primary keys. However the "add layer" [1] is
disabled: on the lower left part of QGis there is a message saying that
QGis is busy scanning the "the_geom" column, and this is taking a lot of
time (there are several huge datasets in that db).

After the scan is over, eventually I am not able to load most of the
datasets. A message states they are invalid and cannot be loaded.

I know I am not giving you a lot of hints. The errors are quite generic.
However when I try to connect to another PGsql database (one that I can
fully manage) everything goes fine. Could the dataset be corrupted in
some strange way, could they lack something that forces QGis to scan the
entire geometry data?

Every suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

[1] messages are in Italian, as you can guess. The actual English
message is probably different.
--
Ciao
Nico