[Qgis-user] Converting Alberta Township System

Michael Giebels giebels at meo-carbon.com
Tue May 20 02:51:03 PDT 2014

Hi guys,

I received a data package with locations given in the Canadian Alberta
Township System recently. I found an online converter that converts the
ATS coordinates into  WGS84-coordinates as a point coordinate from the
center of the section. However, doublechecking these coordinates then
with a Google Hybrid Layer in order to identify single so called quarter
sections appears difficult: The WGS84-coordinates do not match with
centres of fields displayed in the satellite imagery. Thus, I have
difficulties in identifying single quarter sections correctly.
Does anyone have a helpful source or hint? I am aware that the Township
system is not a projection by itself. However it would be cool, having a
tool displaying the Township grid (correctly) in QGIS.

Thanks for your help

Cheers

Michael

--