[Qgis-user] Using qgis with big data

Mark Coletti mcoletti at gmail.com
Wed May 21 08:55:49 PDT 2014

Hi, again.  I'm a veteran qgis developer from the ancient times come to
make a return.  ;)

So I'm using qgis again, and this time with big data.  I.e., I've currently
got a layer with about 14 million points.  Does anyone else have experience
with qgis and big data?  E.g., would performance improve if I were to
create a spatial database of some kind?  On the other hand, though things
are slow, I have enough RAM that I can load all 14 million points twice
over.  (I.e., I load it once in qgis and again in R.)  I fear that relying
on a database would add some I/O overhead.  On the other hand, using a
shapefile may already entail such overhead, and using a more intelligent
and spatially aware database may mitigate some performance issues.

Cheers,

Mark
mcoletti at gmail.com