[Qgis-user] Problem to download data from "OpenStreetMap"

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Fri May 30 11:15:33 PDT 2014

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 7:47 AM, Caroline Kwan <cpmkwan at yahoo.com.hk> wrote:

> As per QGIS 2.2 user guide, I can download data from "Opensteetmap" when
> connecting with OSM server, how could I connect with the server?.  Would
> you please give me a hand?

I've been using QGIS for the past couple of years so not much of an expert.

To download from the OSM server, you just need select a bounding box of
suitable size for downloading. OSM won't allow downloading an entire
country. But you can download portion of a city. To download an area, from
the OpenLayers plugin, add an OSM layer. Zoom into the area needed. Then
from the Vectors menu, select OpenStreetMap->download data. From looking at
the resulting .osm file, QGIS is using the overpass api to download the
data.

You can read more about overpass on the OSM wiki at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_API. Note, I usually use
overpass-turbo.eu to grab data.

Not sure I answered your question. Write back with more details and I'll
attempt to do better.

Clifford

--
@osm_seattle