[Qgis-user] Crowdfunding Project: Automated tests for QGIS

Matthias Kuhn matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch
Fri Oct 10 05:35:39 PDT 2014

Hi Jürgen,
On 10/10/2014 02:29 PM, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
> Hi Matthias,
>
> On Fri, 10. Oct 2014 at 14:25:20 +0200, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
>> Valid points you are raising.
>> What's currently broken with tests is not, that developers don' care but
>> rather, that developers are not aware of failing tests due to the lack
>> of visibility. Also it's not possible currently to tell which commit is
>> responsible for a failing test.
> Are you sure visibility is the problem?  We've had a cdash[1] since the
> hackfest in Lisbon, I think, and all the nightly builds report there ever
> since.

I'm pretty sure it is. Do you ever looks at this page? I doubt that the
majority of devs even knows it exists. They do however know that github
exists.

Main points to nightly build vs. per-commit build is that responsibility
is visible. And therefore it's possible to revert the responsible
commit. And there's mail notification that makes it pretty hard to
ignore failing tests.
Additional plus point for Travis CI -> github is that pull requests are
also tested.

-- Matthias