[Qgis-user] Clipping tool takes a lot of time

Jonas Sjögren jonas.sjo at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 14:31:25 PDT 2014

Hi,
I am trying to clip a road network by a polygon in a script using the
algorithm 'qgis:clip'. The result seems to be quite ok but it takes an
incredible long time to produce, about 14 hours (!). The road network
shapefile consists of about 5000 features (not very many, I believe) and
the clipping shapefile consists of one single polygon. When using Vector =>
Geoprocessing Tools => Clip from the QGIS menu, the time required is about
the same. Does anyone have a clue why it takes so long time? Are there
other clip tools that I may try? I´ve been looking at the 'gdalogr:ogr2ogr'
algorithm and its clipsrc function but not got it to work properly yet. I´m
using QGIS 2.4 Chugiak on Windows 7 with 2.5 GHz processor. Thankful for
all hints that may help,
/Jonas