[Qgis-user] using QGIS with Java 7?

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Oct 15 19:55:05 PDT 2014

This is a side effect of the MDB driver in the GDAL framework.  It requires Java 6 because I thought it the simplest - the use of Java 6 triggers the system to want to install it, which it can do automatically from Apple.  Java 7+ is a separate, non-automatic, download & install from Oracle, and from the developer side more confusing to compile a binary for.  Java 6 is safe fro your system and should not confuse other software that will take advantage of more recent Java versions installed.

It's mentioned in the GDAL framework readme, but not directly in the GDAL Complete readme, so it's been catching people off guard.  I plan to make the MDB driver into a GDAL plugin so a basic GDAL install doesn't trigger the surprise.