[Qgis-user] Clipping tool takes a lot of time

Filipe Dias filipesdias at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 02:29:37 PDT 2014

Yes, convert format is based on ogr2ogr but I dont think it can be modified
to do "clip". Why don't you try running ogr2ogr from the command line?

You need to navigate to the directory where both your shapefiles are stored
and run the code just like in the blog post. I tried on Linux but it should
be the same on Windows (command line on Windows is "command prompt").

ogr2ogr -clipsrc clipping_polygon.shp output.shp input.shp

Hope it helps

PS: It would be nice to add a "clip" algorithm based on ogr2og with -clipsrc
since it seems to be much faster