[Qgis-user] Export WKT format

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Oct 20 11:31:17 PDT 2014

KML isn't a good choice, as it's always Lat/Lon WGS84.
GML might work, but give GeoJson a shot first - it's simpler than GML to
parse (actually little or no parsing required).

Did you try ogr2ogr on the commandline to make sure it's not a bug in
the QGIS writer for long lines?

Thanks,
Alex

On 10/20/2014 11:11 AM, Andrew Gillett wrote:
> I wrote my parser for WKT as it was the quickest and simplest format to
> parse that I was aware of – I only need the country border data, and
> could see how to parse this just by looking at the file, whereas other
> formats would have needed more research.
>
> The problem is with exporting the WKT using a specified projection. At
> the moment I have to export an intermediate format to get the projection
> right, then load that back in and copy/paste for the WKT.
>
> I am now looking into using KML or GML instead.
>

> On 20/10/2014 18:26, Alex Mandel wrote:
>> That sounds like it's hitting some sort of line limit. Might be a bug in
>> OGR. You could try writing WKT to a column first, but it would have to
>> be in a layer type that supports long text fields.
>>
>> That said WKT is not a great format for complex geometries. Perhaps you
>> can tell us your goal and we can suggest another way to get there.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alex
>>
>> On 10/20/2014 10:21 AM, Andrew Gillett wrote:
>>> Thanks for the info. I've just tried this and there appears to be a bug
>>> in it. I'm using the country border data from here:
>>>
>>> http://www.naturalearthdata.com/downloads/10m-cultural-vectors/
>>>
>>> If, for example, I select Iceland and export as you suggested, the
>>> column for the polygon data is truncated. Only about 200 vertices are
>>> exported, as compared to around 3000 which are correctly present if I
>>> use the copy/paste method. The polygon data ends with an X coordinate
>>> but no Y coordinate, and the closing brackets and quote mark are also
>>> missing.

Alex Mandel
http://wildintellect.com