[Qgis-user] Interpolation

Andrew Harfoot ajph at geodata.soton.ac.uk
Thu Sep 18 06:46:33 PDT 2014

Hi Michael,

Off the top of my head, but have you looked into a laser scanner mounted
on some sort of aerial platform such as a cherry picker? Not sure
whether the platform would be stable enough.

Alternatively a low level UAV flight may provide a detailed enough DTM
through stereo imagery analysis.

Cheers,

Andy

On 18/09/2014 10:43, Michael.Dodd wrote:
> Any suggestions as to the best way to survey and interpolate ridge and
> furrow grassland that is not on a flat plane?
> I have tried various methods without success.
>
> The ridge and furrow area that I want to map is about 120mx120m, the
> ridge and furrow pattern is distinct with about 0.5m or difference
> between ridge ht and furrow base but the pattern has a slight curve
> towards one end and the land is not flat.  If you are not sure what
> ridge and furrow looks like then there is an example at 51.9827,
> -0.9135, the stripes are clearly visible on the google earth image.
>
> Mapping can be done with cm level dgps but does this require many tens
> of thousands of points to be recorded. Or can fewer points be recorded
> and qgis interpolation somehow be told to interpolate along the ridge
> and furrow then fill in the area between them with some sort of curve.
> The actual curve is also problematic as the ridge top tends to be
> flattened and not a smooth sine wave.  I don't have good LIDAR of the
> area but even that resolution may not be good enough.
>
> -- The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391),
> an exempt charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in
> Scotland (SC 038302). The Open University is authorised and regulated
> by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Andy Harfoot

GeoData Institute
University of Southampton