[Qgis-user] shapefile .cpg ignored

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Fri Sep 19 07:25:23 PDT 2014

Am 19.09.2014 11:05, schrieb Redoute:
> Am 03.09.2014 13:13, schrieb Redoute:
>
>> in QGIS 2.4, when I use Add Vector Layer to open a shapefile, the dialog
>> forces selection of an encoding. I see no option for "auto detect". Then
>> this encoding is used, and a cpg file attached to the shapefile is
>> ignored.
>>
>> Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug?
>
> The "auto detect" option is hidden in Settings, Options, Data Sources,
> [ ] Ignore shapefile encoding declaration
> which is set by default, meaning auto detect is disabled. Weird.

When this feature was introduced in GDAL/OGR some time ago, we got a lot
of complaints because OGR and QGIS both tried to do the encoding. So it
was decided to let QGIS do the job (as it was before), and ignore the
new encoding possibilites of OGR unless the user wishes to do so.

Greetings,
André Joost