[Qgis-user] Style files

Carlo A. Bertelli (Charta s.r.l.) carlo.bertelli at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 00:58:44 PDT 2014

Hello Priscilla,
there is a plugin that will enable you to open MapInfo .wor files in QGIS.
MapInfo styles are a double faced beast, features could be styled inside
the .tab file, but themes are added in the wor(kspace). Both are well
documented, OGR (a part of GDAL -- www.gdal.org -- which is the library
that QGIS uses to access files) can read and pass styling to QGIS, and wor
files are mostly converted into QGIS projects by the OpenWOR plugin (
https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/openwor/).
MapInfo workspaces are anyway fairly easy to mimic "by hand", reading the
layers needed and their styling (wor is a text file with a list of layers
and commands). Color description is somehow an obstacle, but if your
workspaces are not well converted, I should dig in my old documents to find
out what you need.
Even other "closed" GIS programs are not so closed: lyr files are text as
well, and GeoMedia geoworkspaces are or could be saved as xml.
QGIS handles styles very well by means of QT, using QML (an open but
specialized XML), and also by SLD (more widely used and OGC standard). It
can save styles besides files or inside a database, providing something
very similar to .lyr files in ArcGIS. Beware that styles saved with
projects override those saved into the database, so potential conflicts may
arise.

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at  11:09:51 +0000, Priscilla Maisie <
adwoa.maisie at gmail.com> wrote:

> To: qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org
> Subject: [Qgis-user] Style files
>
> Hi, I'm a new qgis user n I need to get some style files for geological
> structures, and diverse line styles which are currently not in qgis. Has
> can I convert esri and MapInfo style files into a format I can upload into
> qgis.
>
> Please help.

Carlo A. Bertelli
   Charta servizi e sistemi per il territorio e la storia ambientale srl
          Dipendenze del palazzo Doria,
          vc. alla Chiesa della Maddalena 9/2 16124      Genova (Italy)
          tel. +39(0)10 2475439  fax +39(0)10 2475439  gsm:+39 393 1590711
   e-mail: bertelli at charta.acme.com      http://www.charta.acme.com