[Qgis-user] CAD like drawings in qgis

Luigi Pirelli luipir at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 01:41:52 PDT 2015

HI

for sure there are really good cad tools... QAD is written in mind to
completely substitute closed source solution giving the same user
experience. It was developed in the context of a big public company
that manage really complex and big distribution networks.
Giving the same user experience to old user in the context of network
management is a plus, this would reduce training and drawing times.

I'm not a cad user, so I can't completely evaluate if QAD satify these
condition... but because of the context where it was developed, I
suppose it's a good tool.
I tested QGIS core cad tools and some other cad plugins (the last one
smart cad tool is really interesting), but I can't evaluate if they
are useful or not for users coming from cad environment.
I trust the evaluation of Enrico Ferraguti because he works in cad and
gis context and he has more cognitive and technical abilities to
evaluate QAD... and obviously I really trust the author of QAD.

I remember one time I was creating a 3d model with freecad with a girl
coming from autocad environment and she was lost because of lack of
the same keyboard shortcut available in auto* env. She was really
faster drawing than me, but with the same user experience she would be
faster and faster.
For this reason I suppose that QAD can be a plus to move 2D cad/gis
users to qgis.

QAD was developed in autonomy and before (not so much time ago) that
all qgis cad tools were available as plugin or in the core.

I always hope to see QAD published in qgis plugin repo... it's not a
qgis admin problem, simply the author never uploaded it.
So, my suggestion to cad user is to download the plugin from github,
test it, and press the author to publish it... probably the author is
hating me for this :)

regards,
Luigi Pirelli

* Elance: https://www.elance.com/s/edit/luigipirelli/