[Qgis-user] Where can I get a shapefile made from a table of co-ordinates to map a bird monitoring project ?

Adrian Wooster adrian at wooster.org.uk
Tue Aug 11 00:32:47 PDT 2015

Stephen,

When you say "database", if you have a Postgres database with the
PostGIS extension then you can add a geometry column with something
like:
SELECT AddGeometryColumn('my_schema', 'my_table','the_geom',27700,'POINT',2);
UPDATE my_schema.my_table SET the_geom = ST_SetSRID(ST_Point(easting,
northing),27700);

Replace 27700 with your own projection - I'm in the UK and 27700 is
the UK's Ordnance Survey projection. Once you have the geometry
column, you can add it to QGIS by simply adding a PostGIS layer. (You
will also need a column of unique integers)

Otherwise, if you export your table to a CSV file, you can load it
directly into QGIS using the "Add delimited text layer" below the
"Layer/Add Layer" menu. When you click on it there are options to
specify the X and Y co-ordinate columns.

Adrian