[Qgis-user] Getting There, From Here (How to get this Shapefile into a tablet!)

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Sat Aug 29 09:08:07 PDT 2015

Hi Adam,

QGIS for Android is one possibility but as Nicolas said, there is no
python support (this may or may not be a limitation for you).
The user interface itself is a direct port of the desktop application,
so it is not optimized for touch devices and quite unpleasant to use
especially without a stylus pen. Positioning should work.

There is also the QField project which is based on the QGIS libraries
and (like QGIS for Android) available from the play store. It has a
simplified touch interface and positioning support. It fully supports
styling from QGIS project files. It supports changing attribute values
but not digitzing geometries. So if you need a simple data-viewer, this
would be the app to try.
You would have to check if the file size is a problem. I would also
suggest to convert it to a spatialite file on the desktop first.

Support for spatialite is better than shapefile support on the device
(i.e. shapefiles tend to cause random crashes in QGIS and QField). As a
database format I suppose spatialite it is better suited for random
access on big datasets anyway.

Be aware that both projects at the moment are not compatible with
Android 5. We are still considering to start a crowdfunding campaign to
change this though.

Kind regards,
Matthias