[Qgis-user] QGIS project slow to open when too much wms layers

Brent Wood pcreso at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 5 12:52:53 PST 2015

Can we assume a WMS service is unchanging? While some may well be, that is not a safe assumption to make, so running through the getcapabilities each time a project is opened seems reasonable.
I'd assume that within a session, once a layer has been successfully accessed & retrieved it is no longer necessary, but a project may not have been opened for months.
A compromise could be, on opening a project with WMS layers, to (optionally) ask the user whether to validate WxS layers before opening them, allowing them to speed up the operation if they so desire. Or to have this as a project setting the user can toggle, but not something that should be disabled permanently.
my 02c...
Brent Wood