[Qgis-user] extracting elevations from DEM at certain points

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Wed Dec 16 06:19:14 PST 2015

Hi,
The point sampling tools works very well.  All you need is to import your xyz points into QGIS using the CSV import tools.  With that, you can import your points and then save them as a shape file.   I don't think the sampling tool works with CSV layers.
Once you have this shape file, make sure it is in the same projection as the raster (as extra precaution).  Then, use the point sampling tool to sample your points.  You can get raster values or even vector values if your point falls within a polygon.  This tools works well with thousands of points...
Nicolas Cadieux M.Sc.
Les Entreprises Archéotec inc.
8548, rue Saint-Denis Montréal H2P 2H2
Téléphone: 514.381.5112  Fax: 514.381.4995
www.archeotec.ca