[Qgis-user] Raster statistic rant!!!

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Fri Dec 18 06:40:27 PST 2015

Hello,

I am frustrated with the raster Statistics in the layer properties.  I can't understand why they are sometimes created and sometimes not or why they change when once the xml file is created.   To make sure they are good, one must use the gdal stats in the processing toolbox.

Earlier this week, the raster statistics in the layer property dialogue box were working as opening a large raster would take a long time but once the XML file was created, reopening the file was fast.  The statistics where there and I was a happy camper.

But now, with new file, they stopped showing up.  (But QGIS is faster to open them the first time). ( I did not change the create raster icon option.). This has happened to me on other versions of QGIS also.

I get the usual "statistics not yet calculated" (or something like that).  I know I can get them using gdal  but I am trying to figure out why this important  game changer option  is so unstable since QGIS 2.0 at least.  I am on windows 64 using the latest version of QGIS 2.12 (I think.)

Is there an option or a setting I am missing somewhere??? Or is this really a bug that keep popping up on various version of QGIS?  How can I force them calculated in the dialogue box?

And on this grumpy note.... I wish you all a Merry Christmas in advance for those of you how will be celebrating it and a lovely day for those who are not!

Cheers!

Nicolas Cadieux M.Sc.