[Qgis-user] Google with OTF - as XML

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Sun Dec 20 00:19:19 PST 2015

Hi,

 From a technical point of view it seems to work. But as Nyall said, you
are not allowed to use Google tiles directly and print out your own
layers on top of it. For that reason we can't add any Google layers to
QGIS - officially.

I tried it out - for aerial images the reprojection works fine (if one
also uses bilinear/cubic/average interpolation) - but the maps with
lineart and labels look really, really ugly after they had been reprojected.

If you print out at high resolution - again the aerial images look fine,
but the higher you increase the resolution, the thinner the road
symbology gets and the roads get labeled way too often - so not very
pretty from a (carto)-graphical point of view. I was impressed though
that you can also print at very large sizes (I tested an A0 map wirh my
layers and Google images in the backdrop - it took very long to render,
but it worked). If you use this too often, there is also the risk that
Google blocks your IP address.

The Swiss OSM association offers tiles in the native Swiss projection.
This allows to print much nicer maps than with Google maps. See
http://sosm.ch/swiss-lv95-projected-tiles/ and you can use the attached
xml file to open as a raster image. I think it would be a good idea if
other national OSM associations would offer their data in the native
national coordinate system. Something to discuss with your local OSM
gurus ...

The nice thing about this tile-map GDAL provider is that you can
manipulate the raster on the fly (e.g. convert it to black and white,
make it darker or lighter, change contrast or colors globally, etc.)

Andreas