[Qgis-user] How do I specify several different marker symbols for a single layer?

Tom Lennon tolennon at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 16:12:35 PST 2015

Hi All
I am trying to add highway route number background symbols to a
transportation layer. There are 9 different unique symbols. I can only
specify one per layer. I tried using Layer Properties>Feature Subset> query
but could only specify one feature set for the layer. I also tried double
clicking the line symbol for a subset under style and the green plus sign
but that only produced lines drawn with the marker symbol. Do I need to add
9 copies of the layer, set the properties for each subset I need and
symbolize each individually?
Hope I have missed some easier method.
Tom

tolennon at gmail.com