[Qgis-user] Finding the right PRJ file or CRS for my data?

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Sun Jul 12 08:42:46 PDT 2015

Am 11.07.2015 um 21:19 schrieb Bernd Vogelgesang:

> The coordinates of your csv file are in WGS84 too, so this part is ok in
> this case.

Not necessarily. They are in degrees, same as the tiger shapefile is.

> You previously loaded layer is in another CRS.

The tiger shapefile is in NAD83, which is alomst identical with WGS84
(except for some tectonic moves we don not yet care about in the GIS
world). Only NAD27 has a significant shift to WGS84, but most sources
offer NAD83 or WGS84 by now (for the United States).

Things get more complicated if the data is in meters, miles or feet.

HTH,
André Joost