[Qgis-user] QGIS instalation and uninstallation issues

Richard McDonnell richard.mcdonnell at opw.ie
Thu Jul 16 04:01:47 PDT 2015

Please see below,
In my experience, if you want QGIS to work within Windows with some
stability with GRASS and SAGA you need to use the OSGEO4W installer not
the standalone.

 1. Backup python Plugins(C:\OSGeo4W64\apps\qgis\python\plugins for
    Python Plugins)
 2. Delete the OSGEO4W folder
 3. If you have other versions of the software installed via standalone
    installers, uninstall all the Programs (QGIS,GRASS, SAGA etc)
 4. Run a search for QGIS and delete any other folders (besides your
    Backup...be careful)
 5. If you don't have ccleaner or similar install it, click on Registry
    (Left icon second from top), Scan for issues & then Fix selected
    issues, repeat untill there are no issues.
 6. Download most recent version of OSGEO4W installer (not standalone
    QGIS installer see http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ )
 7. Do a standard Desktop instillation, It will install QGIS GRASS SAGA
    and uDig, R should also be installed (Im open to correction)
 8. When you have finished over wright the plugins folder with the backup.
 9. Now you may have some issues initially, but redirecting is easy
    enough, just direct everything to the corresponding OSGEO4W folder.

This is what I remember having to do with my last instillation, I cant
currently verify the above, as I don't have sufficient rights on my Work
PC at present.
Contact me if you run into any issues!

Regards,

Richard.

On 15/07/2015 11:43, Evanilton Pires wrote:
> Dear QGIS users
>
> My name is Evanilton Edgar Serrão Pires, I am an Environmental
> Engineering student and a QGIS user.
>
> I started to use QGIS 2.2.0 Valmiera last year and since my first
> installation it never installed GRASS and SAGA correctly (their
> shortcut never appeared correctly and never worked, therefore I could
> never use those applications inside QGIS)  . At that time I was using
> Windows 8. When I started QGIS it appeared a dialogue box saying «QGIS
> couldn't find your GRASS installation.
>
> Would you like to specify path (GISBASE) to your GRASS installation?».
> And inside QGIS, SAGA and GRASS algorithms never worked properly. With
> the new releases of QGIS 2.4.0 Chugiak and 2.6.0 Brighton, when
> uninstalling, it would uninstall and install normally, however, always
> telling me that the previous version was already installed at the time
> of the installation, although I uninstalled it previously.
>
> Early this year, I bought a new computer (which came with Windows 8.1
> Single Language) and I installed QGIS 2.8.1 Wien in first place (the
> first app to be installed right when I bought the computer, after the
> anti-virus, of course) and for my joy, it installed GRASS and SAGA
> correctly and was working very well, in such way that I was very happy
> with it. However, on the 25th of May, I uninstalled the 2.8.1 version
> and installed the 2.8.2, but for my displeasure, the GRASS and SAGA
> plugins were not properly installed again.
> I went to the QGIS project website looking for solutions and I found a
> page saying that I should specify the path for the ''.exe'', but in
> the program folder  there is no executor file. I even installed GRASS
> independently again and in the new installation folder there is no
> ''.exe'' either. When I install SAGA independently it does not work
> with QGIS.
> Another strange thing is that after I have uninstalled the 2.8.1
> version and tried to install the 2.8.2, for the first time when
> installing it appeared the information of skipping all the folder
> creations and extractions, and at the end it said that QGIS was
> installed but the application did not exist in my computer. When I
> installed for the second time, it extracted and created the folders,
> and when finished QGIS was in my computer. Attached you may find the
> file it produced in the first attempt.
>
> I always install using the standalone-installer.
>
> If you need any further information, please let me know.
>
> What should I do? Is it normal for the software never be completely
> removed from the system? Please, I really would like to solve this issue.
>
> Hope to hear from you soon.
>
> QGIS is really good and useful, and I think we should promote its
> development.
>
> All the best to you guys

OPW - Ag féachaint don am atá le teacht - Ag caomhnú ón am atá thart
OPW - Looking to the future - Caring for the past