[Qgis-user] QGIS instalation and uninstallation issues

Bo Victor Thomsen bo.victor.thomsen at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 02:42:36 PDT 2015

On 18-07-2015 09:53, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
> We could switch to file based configs and add -configpath
> %USERPROFILE%\qgis-config- at version@ to the shortcuts (@version@ would be the
> actual version) - that way each version (but not each installation of the same
> version) would use a different settings.

Oh please, please do it...

This would be a _vast_ improvement for a lot of QGIS users. Introducing
the posibility of using environment variables (%USERPROFILE%) and tokens
(@version@) in the configuration file would make it possible to create a
QGIS installation that was independent of the registry and the absolute
location of the QGIS directory.

Instead of have lines  like this in in the QGIS2.ini file:

*Configuration\SAGA_FOLDER=E:/OSGeo4W/apps\\saga*

with an absolute path definition, You could have something like this:

*Configuration\SAGA_FOLDER=%OSGEO4W_HOME%/apps/saga**
*
or this:

*Configuration\SAGA_FOLDER=@qgis_bin_path@/../../apps/saga**

*removing any references to absolute paths. And having the configuration
parameters collected in a ini file makes it simple to find and edit any
specific parameter using a simple text editor instead of mucking around
in the registry.

Installation of QGIS could be as simple as unzipping a zip file (with a
little help of some DOS voodoo in the QGIS startup .bat file)

Regards
Bo Victor Thomsen
AestasGIS
Denmark