[Qgis-user] Saving a polygon in QGis before to edit it

didier peeters dpeeter1 at ulb.ac.be
Sun Jul 19 23:00:37 PDT 2015

Hello,

I would like to find the best solution to the following case:

in QGis, when editing a polygon (splitting it in 2 parts) I need to save the original shape, in order to keep the different steps of its evolution; this operation is likely to be repeated several times.  The solution I found is to
start by copying the polygon,
then edit it (split)
then pasting back the original one,
then adjust and update the attributes of the 2 new polygons.

Is there a less tricky way to achieve this ?

If not it would be nice to have an option in the save dialog (with a default behaviour set in the Settings), and I would file a feature request.

Didier