[Qgis-user] QGIS instalation and uninstallation issues

Bo Victor Thomsen bo.victor.thomsen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 04:35:12 PDT 2015

Hi Jürgen -

On 19-07-2015 15:07, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
> Hi Bo,
>
> On Sun, 19. Jul 2015 at 11:42:36 +0200, Bo Victor Thomsen wrote:
>> This would be a _vast_ improvement for a lot of QGIS users.
> And probably a big regression for a lot of others.
I don't understand the risque of regression - It would be an addition to
the method that reads the option values from either the registry or the
ini file. The addition would scan the input before returning it to the
caller and substitute any value between "%"'s or  "@"'s with the
corresponding environment values or internal values like version number
or absolute location of the qgis binary. If you don't use it, it won't
be activated. And you could introduce a new option like
"Use_character_substitution" = on/off (or whatever) to enable/disable
the function.

If you thinking about the risque that some option values already use the
special characters, then it would be possible to use other special
characters (or combinations of characters) that's improbable to have
been used before, like "*&!" or "*@!"
>> Introducing the posibility of using environment variables
>> (%USERPROFILE%) and tokens (@version@)
> The "tokens" are already currently used at packaging time.
But not at run time

>> Instead of have lines  like this in in the QGIS2.ini file:
>
>> *Configuration\SAGA_FOLDER=E:/OSGeo4W/apps\\saga*
> The keypoint is to identify what tools refer to paths from the settings - and
> change those to save and retrieve paths relative to
> QgsApplication::prefixPath() (similar to QgsProject::readPath/writePath for
> project relative paths) and "c:/osgeo4w/apps/saga/saga_cmd" used at runtime
> would be turned into "../saga/saga_cmd" in the settings.
I see your point - that could replace my "@qgis_bin_path@" "token", but
not references to environment variables like "%QGIS_OPTION_DIR%" (or
whatever), because there would not be a guaranteed method to express a
relative path between the the location of the qgis executable and the
options directory (.qgis2) for QGIS. They could for example be located
on completely different (windows) drives.

> Jürgen

Regards Bo Victor