[Qgis-user] Announcing the release of QGIS 2.10 'Pisa'

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Jul 22 05:41:19 PDT 2015

Hi Nicolas,

Below is the list of Nyalls Dawsons improvements concerning the raster
calculator and a separate list of improvements in the raster
georeferencer. Note that this was only possible, because we could pay
him through the donations and sponsorship money we receive from our
users. A handful of selected QGIS devs invested each a couple of days to
improve QGIS. The donations/sponsorship money allows them to concentrate
on the bug fixing work.

--------------------

- (unreported) Fix a bug causing raster blocks to be cleared when
reprojecting
- #9081 (NORMAL) [rastercalc] Switch all internal calculations to
doubles for more accurate calculations
- [rastercalc] Add test suite for raster calculator
- [rastercalc] Fix errors with log/log10 calculation and inputs <= 0
- [rastercalc] Fix loss of nodata values in certain circumstances
- #12450 (BLOCKER) [rastercalc] Rework raster calculator to use QGIS
raster classes rather than reading input layers directly through GDAL.
Benefits include more robust handling of nodata/data type conversions,
less code duplication, also being able to take advantage of features in
QGIS raster code like handling gain/offset in rasters.
- #3649 (LOW) [rastercalc] Add a choice of output projection to the
raster calculator. Previously the output CRS would be taken from the
first raster, with no guarantees that the output extent matched the
output CRS. This resulted in empty/misplaced rasters.
- #7589 (NORMAL) [rastercalc] Fix handling of unquoted bands > 9

-------------------------

- (unreported) Fix crash when loading new project with georeferencer
open
- #4602 (NORMAL) Ensure all GCPs are shown in georeferencer report
- #6215 (NORMAL) [georef] Add reset menu action to remove GCP and close
current raster
- #3804 (LOW) [georef] Don't allow overwriting input raster
- (unreported) [georef] Don't crash when loading invalid GCP files
- #7429 (NORMAL) [georef] Show messages when georeferencer creates a
world file
- #10018 (NORMAL) [georef] fix raster not loaded into main canvas when
creating a world file
- [georef] Show success message in messagebar
- [georef] Make plugin less frustrating to use by adding a message bar,
and converts most message boxes to message bar messages. Now, most
transformation parameters are checked when the transform is attempted,
rather then when the transform properties dialog is opened. This avoids
the frustrating situation where the transform settings dialog blocks you
from selecting transform parameters before adding GCPs
- #10480 (NORMAL) [georef] Fix coordinates truncated to 2 decimal
places in table
- (unreported) [georef] Fix untranslatable strings
- (unreported) [georef] Fix crash when closing georeferencer window
while editing a GCP list item
- #4311 (NORMAL) [georef] Fix blank PDF for generated PDF map
- (unreported) [georef] Correctly restore paper size when opening
settings dialog
- (unreported) [georef] Save/restore window positions
- [georef] Modernise georeferencer UI

Note that Nyall did a lot more bug fixing in other areas of QGIS, along
with other devs.

Andreas

On 2015-07-22 14:14, Nicolas Cadieux wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is great news. Can anybody expand on the following:
>
> "Greatly improved and more robust raster calculator...".
>
> I see there are new log functions but this indicate more changes to the raster calculator. Is it faster in any way? Does it still work using a nearest neighbor algorithm? Improved float capabilities?
>
> Thanks
>
> Nicolas Cadieux M.Sc.
> Les Entreprises Archéotec inc.
> 8548, rue Saint-Denis Montréal H2P 2H2
> Téléphone: 514.381.5112 Fax: 514.381.4995
> www.archeotec.ca
> On Jul 22, 2015 02:17, "Jürgen E. Fischer [via OSGeo.org] " <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> QGIS is a user friendly Open Source Geographic Information System
>> that runs on Linux, Unix, Mac OSX, and Windows.
>>
>> We are very pleased to announce the release of QGIS 2.10 'Pisa'. Pisa was the
>> host city to our developer meet up in March 2010.
>>
>> Latest Release
>>
>> This is another release following our four monthly schedule. It again brings
>> many nice new features to QGIS. With the release of 2.10 the previous release
>> 2.8 'Wien', which is designated a long term release (LTR) is moved to the long
>> term package repositories and is the first to arrive there. If you are working
>> in a production environment where you wish to be more conservative about
>> rolling out new features to your users, you will probably prefer those. Of
>> course going with the feature frozen LTR also means that you'll have to learn
>> to do without all the nice new things introduced in 2.10 and above until the
>> next long term is released next year.
>>
>> New Features in QGIS 2.10 'Pisa'
>>
>> QGIS 2.10 includes many great new features, tweaks and enhancements to make the
>> most popular Free desktop GIS even more feature filled and useful. Visit the
>> visual changelog that highlights some of the new additions
>> (http://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/visualchangelog210/index.html [1]).
>>
>> Whenever new features are added to software they introduce the possibility of
>> new bugs - if you encounter any problems with this release, please file a
>> ticket on the QGIS Bug Tracker (http://hub.qgis.org [2]).
>>
>> The source code and binaries for Windows, Debian and Ubuntu are already
>> available via the large download link on our home page: http://qgis.org [3]. More
>> packages will follow as soon as the package maintainers finish their work.
>> Please revisit the page if your platform is not available yet.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> We would like to thank the developers, documenters, testers and all the many
>> folks out there who volunteer their time and effort (or fund people to do so).
>>
>> From the QGIS community we hope you enjoy this release! If you wish to donate
>> time, money or otherwise get involved in making QGIS more awesome, please
>> wander along to qgis.org and lend a hand!
>>
>> Finally we would like to thank our official sponsors for the invaluable
> [...]

Links:
------
[1] http://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/visualchangelog210/index.html
[2] http://hub.qgis.org