[Qgis-user] Heatmap or cloropleth? How to build one like this with QGis?

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa celoserpa at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 13:37:44 PDT 2015

Sorry for posting again. My message was held for moderation because it
surpassed the 100kb limit it seems, probably because it included the other
messages in the history of replies. Here it goes again, without the
previous replies...

---

Thank you all for the replies!

>It means, that in order to get that effect you need to use the "Heatmap
Plugin", which is not a live map >renderer from the point data but
generates a TIFF file on disc which you can then style as you want.

@Andreas: thanks! I tried the Heatmap plugin, actually, but couldn't get
the output to look the way I wanted. I noticed it saved the TIFF file, but
I don't know much about the format. When you say that I can style it the
way I want, how could I do that?

@Abdishakur: Thanks for the article! That's somewhat how I want to render
the heatmap, in
fact:
http://www.gislounge.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/fortune1000-heat-kernel-us.png.
I couldn't find the description of this actual rendering in the article
though, it was too broad. But maybe I'm missing something?

@Richard, Sorry I forgot to mention what's the data I'm dealing with. The
maps will potentially deal with tens of thousands of points representing
real-state listings in a city, so, lat,long and a value that represent the
revenue per month. More revenue, hotter, less revenue, colder.

For this specific Heatmap experiment, I'm have ~1000 points to play with,
and I'm loading them from PostGIS, so when importing those points, I
converted the lat,lon to a Point, so answering your observation, yep, I do
have the points. They look like this: http://bit.ly/1SGfPnY.

I see that grid interpolation has an inverse distance algorithm for the
interpolation, which is exactly the one I want. The question that remains
is - how could I set it up/style it so that it looks more "organic" like
the original example I sent (likehttp://bit.ly/1MpOaIh this or
http://bit.ly/1GLlMsU)?

Thank you all, again!