[Qgis-user] Maps over multiple projected coordinate systems

James Keener jim at jimkeener.com
Sun Jul 26 08:13:49 PDT 2015

If I want to use a PCS to do distance calculations over a large area.
For instance, lets say I want to calculate a 650km buffer around
Pittsburgh, Pa.  The buffer would go outside the state plane for
Pittsburgh and outside the UTM zone. I decided to punt and just put
everything in UTM Zone 17N and do the calculation that way, but I'm not
sure if that is the correct thing to do.

http://jimkeener.com/posts/projections if anyone wants to see what I'm
talking about or would be kind enough to give me feedback on the post
(especially to point out if I'm wrong anywhere in it).

In QGIS can't figure out how to create a buffer not in the native units
of the projection the layer is part of. (i.e. a m-based buffer with GCS).

Any help is appreciated.

Jim