[Qgis-user] Georeference'd maps off by 200m

Nick Papadonis npapadonis at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 15:19:55 PDT 2015

Hi Folks,

 I’m trying to scan in a topographic map into a georeferenced raster so I can trace vector over it.  I have been playing with the plugin for a few hours and am having odd results. I’m hoping an expert here can point me in the right direction.  The issue is when I finally open the resulting TIFF file as a raster layer it appears the raster is 200m too far to the south.  It also appears this is a uniform error across the map.  The east and west line up fairly well.  I was suspecting something with the projection choices or coordinate systems. I figured the coordinate system translation code would have already had plenty of use in the community by now.  When creating the TIFF I used 10 coordinate points and Projective/Cubic.  I also tried 2-degree poly with similar results.  For the target SRS I used EPSG:32618 WGS84 UTM.  The raster source is EPSG:2032 NAD27 UTM Zone 18N. The two vector data sources I checked agree and are EPSG:4326 WGS 84.  I tried to create the TIFF in this format, however it ended up in the wrong coordinates when loaded as a layer.

 Any tips or tricks appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick