[Qgis-user] Question on default file formats

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Jul 28 09:15:39 PDT 2015

It's more elaborate than that. Not all applications in the toolbox can
read Spatialite yet either (e.g. SAGA). So the intermediate is something
all the tools can use. At some point the toolbox might get developed to
were any ogr data source can be used for the intermediates, but it isn't
there yet. I ran into this issue with Postgis a couple of years ago, and
the whole point of using Postgis was to escape the limitations of the
shapefile (particularly file size).

In some ways if you use Spatialite or Postgis you don't actually need a
lot of the basic tools as those can all be done with SQL via the DB
Manager or QSpatialite.

As for Geopackage, keep in mind it's an exchange format. Even with 2.8
I've had no issues reading GPKG files in, though I've been creating them
with ogr2ogr on the command line to convert whole databases at a time
between Spatialite and other formats.

Shapefile still remains the lowest common denominator. I agree other
formats should be suggested first by the save dialog since shp can cause
data loss (date/time, field names, etc).

Thanks,
Alex