[Qgis-user] Question on default file formats

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Jul 28 12:54:53 PDT 2015

Hi Arni,

I think the QGIS community should start an effort to better support the
Geopackage format (or any OGR format) - and should spend some financial
resources to allow a developer to work several days to improve support
for the Geopackage format. I suggested that to the QGIS PSC, but it
doesn't seem to be a priority at the moment. Other issues seem to be
more pressing (such as bug fixing, infrastructure, developer meetings).

However, any organization can come up and fund development to improve
the situation. Or start a crowd-funding initiative to collect financial
ressources from several organizations/people. It is just that noone had
enough resources (money or time) to get rid of the Shapefiles in many
places.

The most difficult problem to solve is Processing with SAGA, but other
than that, at least the "Save AS" and the vector menu could be improved
to offer e.g. Geopackage as default, or let the user choose any OGR format.

If you would start such an initiative I would very much support it. And
who knows - maybe even the QGIS PSC would partially support such an
initiative (maybe also financially).

Andreas