[Qgis-user] [Off-Topic] Field Data Collection with QGIS

Blumentrath, Stefan Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Wed Jul 29 13:35:51 PDT 2015

Hi Marco,

Some of my colleagues made quite good experience with “full” QGIS on a Win8 Tablet (8’’) for a tree database. Since we needed a Desktop solution for the database anyway, we just copied the QGIS project (where we defined forms and so on) to the tablet (as you intended). Done.

The Intramaps Interface is of course much more adjusted to Tablets and offers some nice features QGIS does not offer (e.g. the “Option row” input widget). Yet, one has to rebuild the forms which requires some extra work. It can be worth the effort as it may speed-up data capturing in the field. Intramaps should support «offline maps» too so it is not necessary to choose Android for that reason.

However, a real drawback of Windows 8 is the Windows Location-API which means that internal GPS is not supported out of the box by QGIS and Intramaps there. Here you either have to use an external GPS or a workaround: http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/78857/how-to-make-work-tablet-integrated-gnss-gps-on-windows-8-with-qgis

QField looks very promising to me and I am planning to try it in more detail soon.

Interesting plugins I would recommend to look at are the “Offline Editing Plugin” https://docs.qgis.org/2.6/en/docs/user_manual/plugins/plugins_offline_editing.html and QGIS-Versioning from Oslandia (https://github.com/Oslandia/qgis-versioning) If you plan to work with a PostGIS database…

Cheers
Stefan