[Qgis-user] GRASS dependency problem on OS X

Howard Frederick simbamangu at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 00:31:33 PDT 2015

Aha, found it!

I do have a customised .bash_profile but as you say it shouldn’t affect an application … however, I did start using a custom bash (v 4.3.24 from homebrew) some time ago, which necessitated changing /etc/shells (I cannot remember why I thought this was worthwhile). Looking in the QGIS environment variables I found:

SHELL  /usr/local/Cellar/bash/4.3.24/bin/bash

… instead of /bin/bash.

GRASS runs fine now that SHELL reports /bin/bash. Fixing this was not trivial, with several steps before the SHELL variable was reported correctly and GRASS ran:
I edited /etc/shells to remove the homebrew bash reference;
ran sudo dscl . -change /Users/$USER UserShell /usr/local/Cellar/bash/4.3.24/bin/bash /bin/bash

Note: adding a custom environment variable in QGIS to set shell did NOT work.

Many thanks for your help on this!