[Qgis-user] Background raster image at circa 1:10 million?

Martin Pescador martin.pescador at inventati.org
Tue May 5 10:44:25 PDT 2015

I wish to prepare a simple small-scale map of part of Mongolia, to
illustrate the location of some study sites. To provide some background
context I would like to use a raster image such as that provided by
provided by, or from, satellite data.  Something similar to the Natural
Earth raster layers would be fine. Unfortunately, the Natural Earth data
at 1:10 million is too coarse for my purposes as my map will be c. 1:1
million.

I have tried using the free Landsat data available from USGS but I am
not familiar with the myriad of possibilities available or how to turn a
downloaded image into something I can use. Could anybody more
knowledgeable than myself point me in the direction of any useful raster
geotiff images that could fit my purpose, or to instructions of how to
turn landsat images into something I can use?

With grateful thanks! Martino