[Qgis-user] Using Nasa's Visible Earth images with Qgis

Joe Lertola joe at joelertola.com
Sun May 24 20:02:23 PDT 2015

Hello,
-Joe

I would like to download Nasa’s Visible Earth images then load them into Qgis and then use the Clipper command to clip out rectangular portions with specific latitude/longitude boundaries. The Nasa images are available here: http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view.php?id=74218. The problem I am having is that the images come into Qgis without the proper geographic coordinates. The Nasa documentation says that the images are in the Plate Carree projection and the projection datum is WGS84. But with my very limited knowledge of map projections I do not know how to set this up in Qgis so that the images will be positioned properly and use decimal degrees as their units. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Joe