[Qgis-user] Unsuccessful table join

Barry Martin barry.martin at clear.net.nz
Tue May 26 18:35:14 PDT 2015

I have a dual-boot 64-bit desktop PC with Linux Ubuntu 15.04 and Windows
8.1. I have installed QGIS Desktop 2.8 on Ubuntu. My first experience
with QGIS was last year, when I successfully created a map from NZ
census data. I had no further use for QGIS until now. I have had to
reinstall QGIS, as a recent upgrade to Ubuntu 15.04 had apparently
deleted it. I am trying to create a map by again joining census data in
a spreadsheet file (extension .ods) to my shapefile. The layer values do
not show up in the shapefile's attribute table after joining - the
fields are there, but with null values. I have made sure that the join
field and target field are the same type (string) Can someone tell me
what I am doing wrong?

Barry.