[Qgis-user] Extract 3d attribute information

Lens Paul paul.lens at gmx.com
Sun May 31 00:37:28 PDT 2015

Hi, Christof!

I didn't practice 3D for a while and I'm not a geek either.

QGIS does not explicitely treat vectorial 3D information, but some
(many?) tools treat the vectors without losing Z values.
Besides, QGIS evolves so fast that it is difficult to keep track of the
way it handles z information.

If I remember rightly (probably QGIS 2.x at that time), for those 3D
compatible tools,  lines are not treated on a per vertex basis but with
one z value for the whole line, keeping just the z value of one of the
vertices I suppose.

  To get the mean value for  line made of vertices with different z
values, I would try  this :
- decomposing (in Grass I suppose) the line in points with the z value
in one attribute field and a line identifier in another field;
- calculating the mean z value in association with the line identifier;
- recomposing the line with the help of the line identifier.

Hope this helps,

Paul