[Qgis-user] Legend for Heatmap option

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Nov 11 23:53:27 PST 2015

Hi Ezra,

Not so sure how useful a legend for a heatmap would be?

What would you display or expect? A gradient - yes - I understand that -
but what numbers? Heatmaps aggregate points (potentially weighted by an
attribute) and sums up those points within a defined radius. Then it
colors the result with a gradient from min to max. How meaningful are
those aggregated numbers?

After all - you also can't query heatmap layers with the Identify tool -
because the numbers are quite useless.

Heatmaps are not quantitative views in my opinion, but more qualitative
views to show how distributed point data is on the same view.

But maybe Nyall, the developer of the heatmap support in QGIS core has a
better idea of how such a legend would look like.

Andreas