[Qgis-user] columns in spatialite

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Thu Nov 12 04:05:19 PST 2015

Am 12.11.2015, 08:01 Uhr, schrieb Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>:

> Il 12/11/2015 00:31, Bernd Vogelgesang ha scritto:
>
>> So, to answer to Paolo's question about what is missing in DBManager:
>> Actually nothing in my case, cause I really do not want to use it at
>> all. I just would like to be able to act with spatialite layers as I am
>> able to do with ESRI shapefile layers.
>
> Geopackage might be more in line with what you are looking for (still a
> lengthy way to go, anyway).
> All the best.

Hi Paolo,

as far as I understand, Geopackage is going to be more or less sth like a
File-Geodatabase, so a container for all kinds of data which can be easily
shipped.
The "lengthy" way to Geopackage seems to be already long, and in the
meanwhile, ESRI shape will stay the unquestioned standard?

I really have no clue of the interiors of the technology, but would it be
really this hard to streamline QGIS functions in a way, that sqlite files
are the default output of all functions, so also as temporary files from
Processing?

I repeatedly ask for this, and do not receive much positive echo. What are
the reasons for people to prefer ESRI shapes over sqlite files? Are they
not aware of the benefits or do I just miss sth completely obvious that is
an argument against sqlite?

The only reason for me not to use sqlite in QGIS is, that it is not well
integrated into the workflows (and ftools, which I do not use at all since
there is Processing), but that seems not to be the fault of sqlite but of
user and developer habits (?)

At least an option in Processing settings for choosing the default file
type for temporary layers would meet my needs to 80% I guess.

Thanks for your attention
Bernd

--
Bernd Vogelgesang