[Qgis-user] columns in spatialite

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Thu Nov 12 04:30:07 PST 2015

The main issues with spatialite are IMO: It's based on sqlite so
deleting columns and renaming columns is not supported by design. We
could offer some hacks to bypass this (annoying restriction) from the UI
- there is a risk of side effects though. Another property of it is,
that it's already 4-5MB big, even when empty. I consider this a major
limiting factor as well. Other issues which we were not yet able to
solve are its management of the information scheme which keep duplicate
entries of tables and columns which need to be properly updated which we
apparently do not manage (yet).

Geopackage is also based on sqlite, so the column delete/rename
restrictions apply as well (with the same workaround possibilities). I
haven't checked the file size, but if that's smaller, that would be
quite nice (does somebody know?).

All the best
Matthias