[Qgis-user] ArcGIS & QGIS

Chris House housec01 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 05:20:46 PST 2015

Hi All,

I've touched on this before in a previous email but I want to get more
feedback from this group.  In my work my deliverables will sometimes
include project files and data.  The data sharing is easy.  However, if the
client uses ArcGIS how can I share things like symbology and project
files?  I know this is a loaded question but I am running into some road
blocks where my clients will have to duplicate everything in ArcGIS.  For
many private and government organizations simply installing QGIS is not an
option for them.  So far the cop out answer of is well that's their problem
for vendor lock.  That isn't fair to a lot of my clients who don't get a
choice in what software they use.  Most of the time these decisions are
made at corporate level or at the highest governmental level.  I want to be
able to produce quality work (which I can in QGIS) but I have to be able to
share it when I need to without the duplication of work.

I understand that ArcGIS does not play ball and so the burden to share is
all on QGIS.  This is a problem that needs to be overcome by the QGIS
community if they want to expand and become an equal in places where
corporations and government agencies make the software choices at the
highest levels.

If somehow sharing projects and symbology (especially symbologyy) is
already possible I would love to know how to do it.

V/R
Chris