[Qgis-user] ArcGIS & QGIS

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Thu Nov 12 08:00:41 PST 2015

We have the same sorts of problems in our office.

One (stupid IMO) approach, might be to use raster icons for symbols.  Just convert all symbols to some raster format and use that as a transfer method.

Based on a quick scan of this page, it looks doable:

http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2012/04/26/pictures-in-arcgis-symbols/

To tell the truth, I’ve not really needed to pursue this is any great detail to date because just about every single application (and user) has their own methods and preferences for symbology.  We have a very large AutoCAD user base for example, and even using the ARC add-on, doesn’t solve the problem of changing the symbology between applications.  It seems that most applications are ok with exporting their symbols in some sort of generic format, but it’s not always something that can be manipulated downstream on the receiving end.

bobb