[Qgis-user] columns in spatialite

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Thu Nov 12 08:34:18 PST 2015

Am 12.11.2015, 16:17 Uhr, schrieb Paulo van Breugel

> On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 3:48 PM, Neumann, Andreas <a.neumann at carto.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> I believe the main difference between SpatiaLite and Geopackage is that
>> a SpatiaLite database contains a lot of query functionality >>and
>> additional data (e.g. a big list of CRS) - while Geopackage does not
> That would be a very big list of CRS, or does the query functionality
> take that much space? I often used spatialite, but given >that I
> normally use it to store many layers, I had actually never noticed the
> large initial size. This is imho indeed a clear >disadvantage when used
> for data sharing.
>>
>> When you checked filesizes for shp: did you only look at the shp, or
>> also include dbf, shx, prj, etc.? Otherwise you comparing a >>complete
>> dataset with attributes and metadata against just geometry.
>
> All files, not only the *.shp file. I just created a simple vector layer
> in QGIS and saved it as shapefile, geopackage and >spatialite file.

Seems I'm a bit confused by the differences between spatialite and sqlite.

A spatialite db is always 4 MB + x which makes a huge difference for small
layers, but I guess the differences become closer when having "normal"
sized layers.

What is irritating me is, when I use a small layer and perform some
processing function and then save it as .sqlite to a file, the result is
only a few kb and not 4 MB.

So, having sqlite as default temporary output in processing would not make
any difference to ESRI shape sizewise!

Example: a shapefile point layer with quite some attributes and 999
features has 4.4 MB
saving this as spatialiate: 4.6 MB
saving as sqlite: 86 kB !

The sqlite file is 5 times smaller than the ESRI shape file while the
spatialite file is about the same as the shape.

Here on 2.8.3 at the office I have no geopackage option to test with.

So, whats the difference between sqlite and spatialite in detail?

Cheers
Bernd

Erstellt mit Operas E-Mail-Modul: http://www.opera.com/mail/