[Qgis-user] Load ESRI Personal Geodatabase in QGIS 2.8.1

Ulrike Assmann ua at umweltplan.de
Wed Nov 18 05:56:58 PST 2015

Hi Mats,
thank you for your warning... I think also it's a risk.
Regards
Ulrike

Am 18 Nov 2015 um 9:20 hat Mats Elfström geschrieben:

Hi!
I too have wasted time on this problem and the suggested remedies all but ruined my Office
installation. The thing is I have an Office 32bit on a 64bit machine and wanted QGIS 64bit. By
some tweak I managed to install both 32bit and 64bit mdb drivers, which then made the
Office installation instable and updates failed.
Why can't the required libraries for QGIS mdb access be included in the installer, instead of
having to rely on Microsoft settings?

Anyway, I have ditched the mdb format for now. It did not serve the purpose of a neutral
geodatabase format in a mixed environment.

Another thing worth noting is that the Personal Geodatabase is an ESRI only, Windows only
format and ArcGIS Server dropped support for it some three years ago. It is likely that
ArcGIS Desktop will abandon it too. ArcGIS Pro already has. It is also severly limited in terms
of performance and storage space.
So on the whole, it may be a good move to migrate your data into a less system dependent
format such as PostGIS.

Regards, Mats.E