[Qgis-user] Extracting Raster values (time series) using polygons

Michael Treglia mtreglia at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 12:43:19 PDT 2015

Hi Sam,

Important point of clarification: Do you want all of the individual pixel
values? Or aggregate statistics, like min/max/mean/med...?

For the latter, there are a few tools you can use. I typically use a tool
in the Processing Toolbox, implemented in SAGA: Go to Processing Toolbox -
> SAGA -> Shape-Grid -> Grid Statistics and you'll be able to get those
stats for your desired grids. The only downside, if i recall correctly, is
that the column names don't necessarily indicate which layer the stats are
from, if you're operating on multiple rasters at a time.  There's a  'Zonal
Statistics'  tool also, which I think works well too. It is a plugin - it
is a 'core plugin', which means it come with QGIS,though you might need to
activate it (can't remember). If it is already activated, you'll see it
when you go to the 'Raster' toolbar menu.  If you don't see it there, you
can search for it in the 'Plugin' dialogue and make sure the box next to it
is checked.

(more details on plugins here:
https://docs.qgis.org/2.8/en/docs/user_manual/plugins/plugins.html)

If you want the former, that might be a bit more complicated, and is
something I typically do directly in R, but could give advice here too.

hope that helps!
mike