[Qgis-user] QGIS 2.10.1 adding PostGIS Views

James Keener jim at jimkeener.com
Tue Sep 1 08:45:16 PDT 2015

I'm not saying the old behaviour is correct.

I'm saying the new behavior isn't friendly to non expert users. Loading from a database is no more difficult than loading a shapefile in most cases. I have clients and students do it quite often and "windowing function" means nothing and "primary key" is only a vague notion.

Please don't just accept a broken ui because its something _you think_ only "relatively advanced" users will use.

Moving towards a solution: how would people feel about a window appearing after selecting a view specifically asking which field to use (if one wasn't selected in the initial drop down). Alternatively, moving the in-row drop down to the beginning of the row so that small window sizes don't cut it off, and putting a yellow warning on it to draw attention.

Jim