[Qgis-user] Qgis-user Digest, Vol 115, Issue 36

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Tue Sep 15 14:11:49 PDT 2015

Am 15.09.2015, 21:09 Uhr, schrieb Ken Walenga <walenga.ken at gene.com>:

> I am trying to create custom TERRITORY boundary/shape files and having a
> lot of problems. Due to the size of my joined .csv file >which contains
> the ZIP2TERRITORY information to a base Zip.shp file, I am setting a
> filter by territory# to limit the records that I >have to submit for
> dissolving boundaries. For some territories, the dissolve process
> appears to finish, but not completely. Others >complete as expected. The
> progress bar show 100% completion, but the dialog form "OK" button never
> un-grays indicating that it has >fully finished. There are fewer than
> 3,000 zips in the attempted dissolve. Any ideas as to might be going on?
>
> QGIS v2.10
> Full Zip.shp file has 41K+ zips
> filtered sets have ca. 3,000-5,000 zips
> MacbookPro, Intel i7 quad core, 8GB RAM

Hi,
you do not mention which dissolve you use, therefore I guess you just take
the "standard" dissolve from Vector->Geoprocessing Tools.
As far as I know, there is some work going on to rewrite it, but i didn't
use it for a long time in favor of those others available in the
Processing toolbox.

Activate the Processing Toolbox in Processing and switch to Advanced
Interface and search for dissolve. Try the OGR, GRASS or SAGA dissolve
instead. I'm quite confident those will work better.

Cheers
Bernd

--
Bernd Vogelgesang