[Qgis-user] Maximum string length 254

James Keener jim at jimkeener.com
Thu Sep 17 07:29:23 PDT 2015

The 254 character limit is inherent to the shapefile format, not QGIS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shapefile#Limitations

Whoever is providing the shapefile must have it stored in another format.
Could you get the raw data? Could you get a SpatiaLite database instead of
shapefiles? Could you convert the geometry in the shapefile to WKT and do
whatever it is you need to do with the text (as opposed to the geometry)
with that?

Jim